About Me

About me

My name is Nik and I am Mum to two small boys called Sam and Oliver and partner to the long suffering Ali and we are based in Devon, England.

My blog is about my journey though life, the highs, the lows and all the fun and messy bits in-between.

It is a personal blog that is written by me and only features my opinions. I do work on behalf of businesses and companies, writing posts and reviews but I will only give you my honest thoughts, if I love it or hate it I will tell you.

If you would like to get in touch with me or my mini monsters please contact me at
themummymonster1@gmail.com





Friday 16 February 2018

Review of Folly Farm


Review of Folly Farm, Kilgetty, Wales

 

So how can I summarise Folly Farm? Well, it’s Crealy, Dingles and Paignton Zoo all rolled into one site!!

 

Ali and I went on holiday a couple of years ago to Carmarthen, South Wales when Sam was little and we stumbled across a local attraction called Folly Farm and what a place we found!!

 

We tried to return in September last year and we travelled all the way there for Oliver to be poorly and we had to head straight home again, we were gutted and we made a promise to Sam that we would return as soon as we possibly could.

 

We travelled up to Llanelli, where we had booked two nights at a Premier Inn. It meant we could take our time travelling up. We arrived in plenty of time and so we headed to the beach to have a brisk walk and my goodness it was chilly!!!

 

Anyway, after a relaxing night’s sleep, we headed up to Folly Farm. The farm has undergone several changes since our last visit. There is a brand new entrance, with six entrance gates which could be used. It was only the English half term during our visit so the park was virtually empty which was brilliant for us.

 

After the entrance we headed into the Jolly Barn. The barn is full of all sorts of animals, including goats, rabbits, chickens, donkeys, horses, ferrets and barn owls. One member of staff had a rabbit out of the cage for children to stroke. As an owner of rescue rabbits, the rabbit looked happy, healthy and well cared for.

 



Once the children had done looking at the animals, there are also some play items inside, all farm machinery inspired. Oliver and Sam both loved the tractor. Oliver tried the slide however I think he may have been wearing the wrong trousers as it took him a while to slide down!! Lol

 

So after we had exhausted the barn, we moved onto the vintage fairground. This barn is massive!! Think carousels, bumper cars and muffin the mule. You do have to pay for the tokens which in turn you pay the operator for each ride. The tokens are 50p each and most rides are one token each.

 

There are also 2p machines although winning was virtually impossible!! Ie I won nothing!! Lol

 

The boys were amazed by the rides and there was something for everyone to have a go at. Oliver loved the train ride, Sam loved the bumper cars and I loved the sky riders, so much that I made Sam go on them twice!! J Naughty Mummy!!

 


The other half of the barn is a huge indoor play area. We actually lost Sam at one point!! He had plenty to slide and climb on. Oliver was also kept amused in the two sections which were suitable for him. In one of the areas, there was a slide that Oliver literately flew down!!

 

Whilst we were there, we decided to have some lunch and I think this was the biggest mistake we could have made!! Ali ordered a couple of bits from the Carousel Woods café. My order was a plain chicken burger, chips and a drink. You can’t really go wrong with that can you? OH yes, apparently you can!!! I was served a spicy chicken burger, which I didn’t realise until I had taken a couple of bites.

 

Now I can’t eat pepper and the coating we found out afterwards contained Tabasco sauce!! Ali went back to the till, but not one member of staff apologised or offered to do anything about it. Ali requested that the manager be called. When he arrived, my lips and mouth were on fire and my lips were bright red and sore. I was in a lot of discomfort. Finally he apologised and offered us our money back for my meal.

 

So with my bright red Botox lips we headed off to the zoo. It was peeing it down with rain on our first day but we decided to risk it, however everything was hiding. We knew we were coming back the next day so we decided to leave the animals until the next day and we couldn’t resist checking out the penguin pool. Sam loved it!! The penguin chased Sam across the pool, it tried to nibble him through the glass thinking he was a fish!! Blimin big one at that!!

 
 


We headed back to the hotel after day one, exhausted, wet from the rain but happy and excited for the next day.

 

We bought boomerang tickets which allowed us to return within seven days for half the price. Great idea J

 

Day two arrived and bought a dry day with it. Sam was desperate to go in the giant sand pit. The sand pit is huge. It has lots of sand pits toys, including diggers, slides and JCB’s!

 

We then headed to the tractors. Again both boys loved the paved track. Sam cleared it of twigs that had fallen over night but then they were off, chasing each other.

 

 
With the weather still dry, we decided to go and see all the zoo animals and I am so pleased we did. The lions were basking in the sun, the tapirs were snoozing and the giraffes and zebras felt like they were in touching distance. Oliver loves giraffes and he couldn’t quite figure it out when he saw a real one.

 

To finish our second day, we headed back into the fairground to use our last tokens and before we headed home, we finished where we started in the Jolly Barn.

 

What an exciting few days we had at Folly Farm.

 

I would rate it as 4 out of 5 stars. They need to sort out their catering system and perhaps give them some customer service training and then I would give them 5 out of 5 stars.

 

Do I recommend visiting? Definitely!! If you fancy a visit more information can be found at: https://www.folly-farm.co.uk/

 

This is my own honest review on Folly Farm and no payment or compensation was received for the review.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great place to visit, hopefully they will sort out their catering system soon though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second day we took our own food and we were much happier 😁

      Delete
  2. Wow, my children would love to visit Folly Farm. I've seen it on a few youtube channels I watch from mummy vloggers and it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is worth the visit. I’m pleased we went back the second day as we hadn’t done it all on the first day 👍

      Delete
  3. Looks like the kind of place that we would love to go :)

    ReplyDelete

The Extreme Stunt Show

  Extreme Stunt Show   So this week we should have been in France but it was obviously cancelled due to the naughty bug, as it’s known...