About Me

About me

My name is Nik and I am Mum to two small boys called Sam and Oliver and partner to the long suffering Ali and we are based in Devon, England.

My blog is about my journey though life, the highs, the lows and all the fun and messy bits in-between.

It is a personal blog that is written by me and only features my opinions. I do work on behalf of businesses and companies, writing posts and reviews but I will only give you my honest thoughts, if I love it or hate it I will tell you.

If you would like to get in touch with me or my mini monsters please contact me at
themummymonster1@gmail.com





Saturday 12 May 2018

Living Coasts Torquay

The Living Coast - Torquay



Living Coasts is an innovative coastal zoo and aquarium where you can take a journey around the coasts of the world and see amazing animals in naturalistic habitats. www.livingcoasts.org.uk

Sometimes I think we forget what we have available to us on our door step, so when I saw the advert for a half price entry for locals to Living Coasts in Torquay we jumped at the chance to go and take a look around.

I think the last time we visited was when was quite young. He certainly doesn't remember it.

When we headed up the entrance slope we were greeted by the first tank. The tank looked empty until we looked up and saw a Puffin looking back down us as he was taking a swim.



We then headed out to the next stage where we happened to time it just right to see the penguins being fed. I have to say I always forget the smell that goes with penguins, I am pleased that they are outside so the smell wasn't too over powering.


 
Oliver loved one of the penguins who was particularly vocal. I think they had their own conversation as he would reply and then laugh. It was great to watch.
 

After the penguins, we headed up to  the sandy bay to see the wader birds and otters. I love watching otters playing but it was nap time when we arrived :( apparently they had recently had an operation so I may forgive them for not playing.


 

We started to head down the slope to the seals. Now if anyone believes in reincarnation, then you need to come back as a grey fur seal!! I have never seen such a lazy animal. Even when in the water it was snoozing!! lol Sounds perfect to me. :)

 


Next was the aquarium so we headed inside. I have to say we skipped the soft play area as it was busy but if we were on a quieter day we probably would have stopped. We did stop at the sand though. I think our boys have forgotten we actually live near the beach and have a sand pit at home. Within moments Sam had his shoes and socks off and was bossing everyone around.



With boys entertained by the sand I headed off to look at the seahorses. I love seahorses, they are so peaceful and the fact that the Dad gives birth is all good in my books.



Oliver soon found a tunnel to go through under a fish tank which was all fun until he hit his head. Sam headed around the corner and found a climbing wall.





We headed out through the last few tanks and finally came out in the gift shop where the obligatory magnet was purchased.



In summary, the animals were in clean and fairly large enclosures which were lovely to see. There were lots of different animals, fish and birds to see and it is a great way to spend a few hours in Torquay. I am pleased the weather was kind to us as I am sure we would have rushed passed lots of the enclosures and missed things otherwise.











No comments:

Post a Comment

The Extreme Stunt Show

  Extreme Stunt Show   So this week we should have been in France but it was obviously cancelled due to the naughty bug, as it’s known...