About Me

About me

My name is Nik and I am Mum to two small boys called Sam and Oliver and partner to the long suffering Ali and we are based in Devon, England.

My blog is about my journey though life, the highs, the lows and all the fun and messy bits in-between.

It is a personal blog that is written by me and only features my opinions. I do work on behalf of businesses and companies, writing posts and reviews but I will only give you my honest thoughts, if I love it or hate it I will tell you.

If you would like to get in touch with me or my mini monsters please contact me at
themummymonster1@gmail.com





Sunday 19 August 2018

Go Ape Junior Course - Haldon Forest


Go Ape Junior - Haldon Forest

 

Recently my boys and I were invited to have a go at the new Go Ape Junior course in Haldon Forest near Exeter. I was a bit nervous about booking it for Sam, who gets quite nervous but my goodness me, he did me proud and showed me just what he was capable of!

 

 So what is Go Ape Junior?

It is a high ropes course set up in the tree tops. It features zip wires and obstacles such as stepping stones, tightropes and rope bridges, enough to get your adrenaline flowing.

 

“Up in the forest canopy you can expect a variety of crossings, each offering a sense of reward and achievement before gliding along the grand zip wire finale. Brand new for summer 2018, Tree Top Junior at Haldon Forest makes for some unforgettable high ropes antics.”

 

We arrived with nervous in trepidation, I was really worried that Sam would see the course and back out at going up, I was also slightly worried that Ali might back out as he doesn’t do heights!!

 

I booked them both in before they could change their minds and we were given the rules to read. Once read, we signed the paperwork and given the wrist bands and told to head over to the harness area.

 
 
 


At the harness area, both boys were kitted up and they headed up to the example stage where they were shown how to clip themselves onto the wire. Sam was also encouraged to sit down in his harness to show that if he fell off what would happen. Sam seemed to get the hang of moving along the wire really quickly.

 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
They then headed off to the low level section to get an idea of what they would experience up in the trees. Oliver was desperate to have a go at this section but being less than one meter tall he wasn’t allowed.

  
 
 
 
Low section complete, Sam was desperate to head up into the trees; they waited at the bottom of the wooden stairs and told the member of staff it was their first time up. He then took the time to talk them through and gave them a few hints and tips before clipping them on. Sam was off and I had to shout to tell him to wait for his Dad several times.

  
 
Sam even managed how to use the clip and move it onto the next section on his own. He loved being able to shout down to us and gave us a wave or pull a funny face at us. He was having a great time. Ali’s face often told a different picture!! Sorry Ali, I do love you for doing it and if I could have gone, I would have done!! Xx

 

Sam started to get more and more confident and even started jumping across some of the stepping stones, my nervous little boy was gone. Once they completed the section, they then headed to the zip wire. Sam showed no fear and practically jumped off the ledge and headed down. I was incredibly jealous as I wanted to have a go!!
 

 

 
Once they unclipped themselves they then headed to the harder section two, again Sam was completely unfazed and off he went with Ali in tow.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 



Again I watched from the ground and marvelled as they were stepping over blocks, climbing over ropes and pulling themselves onto the next sections. They absolutely loved it. After each section they were able to do the zip wire. The boys headed up for the final section, they climbed the rope net and looked at the first set of ropes. One of the members of staff noticed they were unsure and came over to talk to them about how to complete it. Ali made the decision that it would be too hard for them and so the member of staff unclipped them and they went back to the first section again before finishing with the final zip wire.

 

At the end of the zip wire, their hour was up and it was time to give the harnesses back. Once they were given back, the boys were given a certificate of completion. Sam was chuffed to bits.

 


Ali commented just how friendly and polite all the staff were and the only concern was the wire that they were clipped onto. Ali is 6ft 2 and the wire had to sit underneath his arm throughout the whole course. This has left him with a nasty bruise on his arm. When he spoke to the staff they explained that the course is aimed at young people not adults so the height of the wire was set for them.

 

If you fancy giving the course a go, your child must be over one meter tall. There is also a weight limit of 20.5 stone/ 130kg. If the child is under six years old then an adult must accompany them on the course. If over six, an adult must supervise from the ground. For a one hour session on the junior course it is £18. For more information or to book check out goape.co.uk or call 0845 519 2727.

 

Disclosure: For the purpose of this review we were gifted two tickets for a one hour session on the Go Ape Junior Course at Haldon Forest. All the thoughts in this review are my completely my own.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks as if you've really enjoyed yourselves and gained a fab experience too! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased that Sam enjoyed it so much. I thinks its great to push kids to do something challenging and seeing how rewarding it is for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He proved me wrong!! I really didnt think he would do it but i was very happily proved wrong :)

    ReplyDelete

The Extreme Stunt Show

  Extreme Stunt Show   So this week we should have been in France but it was obviously cancelled due to the naughty bug, as it’s known...