About Me

About me

My name is Nik and I am Mum to two small boys called Sam and Oliver and partner to the long suffering Ali and we are based in Devon, England.

My blog is about my journey though life, the highs, the lows and all the fun and messy bits in-between.

It is a personal blog that is written by me and only features my opinions. I do work on behalf of businesses and companies, writing posts and reviews but I will only give you my honest thoughts, if I love it or hate it I will tell you.

If you would like to get in touch with me or my mini monsters please contact me at
themummymonster1@gmail.com





Tuesday 23 January 2018

January Sucks!!


January sucks!!

 

Not just this January but every January, is pretty crappy and I would love it if we could just skip over it and move on to February.

 

So why does January make me depressed? There are so many reasons, the end of the natural high that is Christmas and New Year when your home has the colourful decorations taken down and bringing up back into reality of normal and routines.

 

Being paid early in December may seem wonderful but it means that that wage packet then has to stretch over five weeks instead of four, which isn’t so great in January and your bank balance isn’t looking good.

 

They then decide that January is tax return month, I mean, how to really throw the towel at you when your bank balance is low. I completely understand how people get in trouble with not keeping money aside for Tax Man. It’s always more than you think.

 

Plus the weather is always rubbish in January. You get wet on every school run, there is usually ice on ground and the car, meaning you get numb fingers as you scrape the white layer of doom off the windscreen and the office heating is whacked up to the max so you sit sweating in your winter layers.

 

So what can we do to improve January?

 

There are some things that I can’t change, i.e. the weather. We will get wet and cold whatever happens.

 

However one of the elements I can have an impact on is my finances. We have had a smart meter installed and as much as it drives me mad, it has made me realise just how expensive my tumble drier is. With the rubbish weather I have relied on my drier to get all my clothes done. Since the meter has been installed I really have started to think about what can be hung up in the house and what really needs drying urgently.

 

I have also decided to sort out some of my clothes and shoes. I sorted through a box of clothes that really didn’t fit me and added them to Ebay and started to make money as the bids came in. Yes it’s a pain to take all the photos, then store it, then go to the post office but actually when the money starts coming in and you can afford a bill, its totally worth it.

 

I am also hoping to do a car boot sale but haven’t been brave enough yet to it. Last time I did one, people started climbing into my car asking me if I had any china. So I will learn from my experience and keep my boot shut until I am ready to set up and sell my stuff.

 

The next on my hit list is meal planning. I have tried this before but somehow it goes out the window when Ali comes home and says “I don’t fancy that” well its tough I am going to have to stick to it this time as I simply don’t have the money to go and buy alternatives.

 

We have been asking Sam what he fancies doing over the weekend and thankfully he has suggested some free stuff. Painting stones ready to hide, trip to the park and a scooter ride. Fab. Thanks Sam!

 

So what else, can we do to save some cash during January? I asked my fellow bloggers from UK Parent Bloggers to give some suggestions:

Beth Law Local Facebook sale pages. They can also saves you the fees that you can lose on eBay
Twinderelmo.co.uk

 

Lianne Marie Freeman Meal plan and only buy what you need , I find online shops help with this as your not grabbing other offers www.anklebitersadventures.co.uk

 

Emily Lipscombe Not for savings but January is the month we have to be resourceful! Raid food cupboards and use up freezer stock, as well as plan lots of free activities! Feeding the ducks, muddy walks etc.

 

Jenna Newell  Survey and cashback websites; you can keep going through the year to build up a nice lump sum for Xmas then! www.thentherewerethree.uk

 

Pete Chatfield  Having joined lots of survey website, I found that some survey sites are far better than others. I made a list of my top 5 and around how much you can expect to earn. I would suggest joining quite a few if you want to earn a decent amount. https://www.householdmoneysaving.com/which-are-the-best.../

 

Alex Iveson  I love my Sweatcoin app - I literally get paid to walk everywhere! I also do babysitting regularly which pays a decent amount in our area. www.bettertogetherhome.com

 

Nikki Turner-Chaplin Save your Nectar points or Tesco Clubcard points and have a bit of a splurge with them in January. It won't necessarily save money but it will make life a bit brighter during the more austere month! www.ridingbootsforboo.com

 

Laura Dove Use voucher codes when making purchases. I never buy without them! www.fivelittledoves.com

 

Ayse Erdin It won't give you extra money but it will stop you spending. Only shop in the sales if it's something you already need. A bargain is still a loss if you didn't originally need it! Www.arepops.com

 

Folakemi Fapohunda I shop mainly during sales most of my favourite stores are now doing extra 20% off sales. If you’re a stay at home mom try babysitting friends and neighbors kids for the extra cash. As we speak I’m clearing out my kids old clothes to sell on local Facebook page much better than eBay. www.peacockscanfly.com

 

Epril Fermin I start clearing out stuff to shpocks and Vinted because it free to sell there unlike eBay. It’s quicker way to save money and plus your getting more space when you clear out regularly.
www.epsandamy.co.uk

 

Helen Treharne Write meal plan for the month and stick to it, base your whole shopping list around it and don’t buy anything “off list” for the month. Swap your utilities if you can for a better rate and cancel or change streaming services - use cashback sites so you get a better deal www.welshmumwriting.com

 

Linda Hobbis Car boot sales can be good - yes you do have to get up early but it's worth clearing out your garage and setting up stall if you've lots of kids clothes, toys, furniture, books or ornament. www.motherdistracted.co.uk

 

Veronica Mitchell Selling things I have collected from "decluttering" can really make more money but sometimes I still kept things I want but no longer use / need. Since I've heard someone say that we should give away or (sell I guess) whatever things we no longer use because it means its no longer for us, I've lived by that statement and have been trying to live a minimalist life.
http://myparentingjourney.com/

 

I have to say the above comments were great, however the did leave me with some investigations to do. I had never heard of Vinted and Sweatcoin, but I have vowed to look into them and see if they will work for me.

 

Take a look and see if any of these ideas will make your January better!!

 

Love The Mummy Monster x

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Extreme Stunt Show

  Extreme Stunt Show   So this week we should have been in France but it was obviously cancelled due to the naughty bug, as it’s known...